Thursday, October 27, 2011

Welcome To Holland, Have Some Italian Food

I have to admit, I was feeling quite depressed.

I had just lived through a weekend of GFCF failures. I had tried to make cookies and other things that just didn't taste quite right. I was determined to figure out the GF Flour mix ratio that not only tasted as close to normal flour, but acted like normal flour, had the same texture as normal flour, and did not have an aftertaste.

Welcome to Holland.....

I decided to totally scrap my old favorite recipes and start making only tried and true GFCF recipes. Once I got seasoned enough (pun totally intended!) with GFCF cooking, then maybe I would learn enough about what goes with what to make something that didn't fall through on taste and texture.

I was really overwhelmed. We had only been GFCF for 2 months.

Then, one Sunday afternoon, a dear sister gave me a life-changing cookbook. It was Cooking For Isaiah by Silvana Nardone. If you are GFCF, then buy this cookbook! If you are GF, buy this cookbook! It is amazing.

She is Italian-American, so her recipes have a great twist to them. I love Italian food, and the kids were craving pasta and pizza. So, with big butterflies in my stomach, I started cooking.

First we made spaghetti with meatballs. The kids went wild for this meal. It was really good!



Then, that same weekend, we got brave. It was pizza night at the Kilmer's house! I had never made homemade pizza before. Keith loves pizza. He really was missing it. Clay and McKenzie did not hide their expectations of desiring the perfect GFCF pizza from me.

The result was fabulous!

Pepperoni Pizza

Tomato Basil Pizza
This crust is the best pizza crust ever! I am a pizza snob. I don't like pizza that much. This crust reminded me of a true Italian restaurant in Sulphur Springs, TX. They had homemade bread that was unbelievable. One bite of this pizza and I was back in that restaurant, enjoying authentic Italian food.

We had found one new favorite.....

No comments:

Post a Comment