Thursday, October 27, 2011

"I Must Have Apple Pie!"

During the summer months, Clay could not stress to me enough that it was not a true summer unless he ate some apple pie. He could not get his mind off of it. I have a dearly loved recipe that I have turned to for years. Here is our first attempt at GFCF baking.....

We used Gluten Free Pantry's pie crust mix. I was so nervous that my GFCF version of Grandma Ople's Apple Pie would not be the same as the beloved original. And I was a novice at GFCF baking, so I was doubly overwhelmed.

Here are some pictures of how the pie turned out.

GFCF version of Grandma Ople's Apple Pie
                                      
I was not that taken with Gluten Free Pantry's pie crust mix. For one, it is very flaky. For another, it is heavy on the brown rice (I think) and xanthum gum. There is a slight aftertaste. I am not big on flaky crusts, which is just a personal preference, I know.

There is a a pie crust recipe in Silvana Nardone's book Cooking For Isaiah. I think I'll try it next.

Here is a link to the best apple pie recipe on this planet. It can be converted to GFCF by using Earth Balance dairy free butter substitute and GF All Purpose Flour mix.

Enjoy with some Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/apple-pie-by-grandma-ople/detail.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment