Tuesday, June 14, 2011

There's A New Fridge In Town

Do you know what is a really good appliance to have when you are on the GFCF diet? A freezer. Most of the food needs to be kept frozen until it is ready to be eaten. We, the Kilmer Family 5, have a tiny freezer.

On the third day of being GFCF, I was talking with two friends, one of whom has celiac disease. She was sharing her story with me and giving me helpful advice, and the more she talked, the more I became overwhelmed. It is so much to take on at first. I turned to my other friend and said, "I'm going to need another freezer."

I had just met my friend with celiac that day. We share a mutual friend. After I went home, our mutual friend called me and said, "You've got your new freezer, and a fridge to go with it." You see, this kind-hearted woman, who I had just met, had an extra fridge/freezer and felt that God had placed it on her heart to give it to us.

You have to know something about me. I don't like to accept gifts. I like to give. I think it has to do with that fact that I have a mom and sister who are givers, and they give and give, and I feel so guilty. I wish I could give to them. I want to be so strong and resilient in this process. But, here I was, about to eat my first slice of GFCF humble pie that God was calling me to eat!

We received the new fridge/freezer last Sunday. It is beyond "helpful" or "useful". It is a very nice set. But, for me, it represents something more. It represents that God was there, before us, in the heart of a sweet woman who I had never met, preparing her to make such a precious offering to me and my family. It reminds me that God knows everything I need before I do, and that He has prepared a way to take care of us. He didn't have to provide a freezer for us. It would have been inconvenient, but we would have survived. But, oh how He loves us! And I mean, how He loves all of us! He loves my family enough to provide relief to a stress-filled situation, and to serve as a reminder that we are not in this journey alone.

In Exodus 13:21-22, the LORD went on before the people of Israel, guiding them by day and night. He still goes on before His people. He still prepares the way for them. We may be confused by life's little mishaps, but the LORD is not. He is not surprised or taken aback, nor does He have to change His plans for us. He goes on before us and guides us closer to Him. May we always know Him to be Jehovah Jirah, our Provider.

No comments:

Post a Comment